Sunday, July 12, 2009

Too Serious, Too Fast

Friday night my husband and I went to see the cute Disney movie, Enchanted, on an outdoor screen up on campus for free. It was a great date! We love Enchanted because it made us laugh a lot the first time we saw it together. For weeks after seeing it the first time we would sing the songs, or quote lines and laugh with each other. Upon seeing it again this past Friday, my husband started singing along to the song like we would have done together if watching it at home. But since there were other people around us trying to enjoy the movie I told him to be quieter (even though tons of others started singing too, haha). Needless to say, he was hurt and told me that I "never let [him] be [himself] anymore." I felt horrible after he said that. I apologized, and we were able to continue enjoying the rest of the night. We actually had a really great weekend, and did lots of fun things.

However, his comment stuck with me the rest of this weekend. As we went to other places and did other things throughout the weekend, and my husband would start singing along to West Side Story or make a silly joke. Instead of telling him to not sing, or giving him a funny look like his joke wasn't that funny; I just enjoyed his personality and appreciated who he is. I had so much more fun just loving his outgoing, happy, social personality than critiquing him when it would be unnecessary. I fell in love with him for who he is in the first place, why would I say or do things that would make him feel he can't be himself!?

I think at times I get too serious about life too fast. I think a lot of people get that way. Even if things aren't particularly stressful, somehow we still forget to just relax and have fun sometimes. I have felt this many times as a newlywed. I'll get too serious then I'll have to be reminded to be more playful. I'm glad that my husband likes to have fun and express his personality. I hope that I will be able to be a companion that makes him feel like he can always be himself.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great post! I think you and your husband sound soooo cute! I would die of happiness if my husband broke out into song with me.. Instead I'm the one singing like a goof and he's giving me the weird looks. Sometimes I never want to grow up... But I also thing that's a beautiful thing about having kids.. They help you stay young! :) ...Or so I hope!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me learn and grow even more. Thank you!